This hopefully temporary page will be updated periodically as new COVID-19 related information is provided to the Parish Council. The most recent will be at the top. Local news related to COVID-19 is summarised below as well and other useful links below that.
NEW during December 2021
- Booster Vaccines
Q&A’s all about why, when, how, where etc… of taking the booster vaccine. People aged 18 or over can pre-book a booster dose appointment 2 months after their second vaccine dose. You can get your booster dose 3 months after your second vaccine dose.
- NHS Major Incident
The NHS has declared a major incident in relation to the administration of the COVID 19 booster vaccine. They will use a number of venues to ramp-up vaccinations
NEW during July 2021
- Community Response Document v23
Covers advice on the COVID pathway through summer, international travel, summer security and more.
NEW during May 2021
- Community Response Document v21
Covers advice on International Travel, open & closed businesses and much more
NEW during March 2021
- Community Response Document v18
Further updates including returning to education, support for students and long term effects of COVID-19.
NEW during February 2021
- Community Response Document v17
More updates on myths & scams as well as more meaty topics such as the Roadmap out of Lockdown and h=what if you have ben added to shielding list.
- Community Response Document v16
This edition includes mythbusters about COVID-19 and the Vaccines, also updated funding opportunities & more.
- Treating COVID-19 at Home & Vaccine
Details of how the vaccination programme is ramping up locally and self-help advice for managing COVID-19 at home.
- Community Response Document v15:
Updates on National Lockdown, shielding, COVID vaccines (including scams), family & child support, students & businesses.
- Residents Contacts Pack:
A comprehensive compilation of useful contacts ranging from councillors to community groups, shops & food.
- Community Response Document v13:
Updates include guidance on the importance of ventilation and Vitamin D as well as advice on forming a Christmas bubble and when attending the town centre. The contents pages will help you find exactly what you need to know.
- Re-entering a Different Tier 2
What can you do & what can’t you do?
- Winter Resilience Programme:
Colchester BC is launching a Winter Resilience programme to see us through winter with COVID. The intention is to ensure all residents are prepared and/or have access to support when they need it.
- Community Response Document v12:
Updates include National Lockdown Restrictions and how to report breaches, new information on shielding, advice for students, information on staying well and many other information updates.
- Preparations for Remembrance Sunday:
This note sets out how Remembrance Sunday activities can take place in line with current COVID-19 restrictions and requirements in England.
- Community Response Document V10:
Further updated to include the ‘Rule of Six’, advice on how to tell the difference between colds, flu & COVID-19, advice about the flu jab, request to download the NHS COVID app and other updates.
- Community Response Document V8:
An updated version of the July publication, this adds details on the wearing of face coverings and masks, Coronavirus & worship and the pausing of shielding. It also has updates on Community 360, shopping and links.
- Community Response Document_V7;
Produced by CBC this document contains a wealth of really useful information ranging from key contacts, employment support, face masks, domestic & sexual abuse help, funding opportunities and much more besides.
- West Bergholt PC Health & Wellbeing Plan;
This documents the Parish Council’s response to COVID-19 in supporting the village & its residents. [Updated 17/6/20]
- CBC Residents Information Pack V2:
A comprehensive compendium of essential contacts ranging from food supplies to councillors, from support groups to how to get a delivery slot. Updated at the beginning of June – no indication of what changes might have been made.
- Government guidance on schools opening to more pupils from 1 June:
Government guidance to parents & carers on schools opening to more pupils from 1 June in the form of all the questions the government has an answer to.
- HMG’s plan to rebuild: The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy:
The Government’s roadmap for how and when the UK will adjust its response to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Staying alert and safe (social distancing):
The most important thing we can do is to stay alert, control the virus, and in doing so, save lives. Detailed information about how to achieve this in different environments.
- Staying safe outside your home:
The principles you should follow to ensure that time spent outside your home is as safe as possible. It is your responsibility to adopt these principles wherever possible.
- FAQs: what you can and can’t do:
Frequently asked questions on what you can and can’t do during the coronavirus outbreak.
- Public advised to cover faces in enclosed spaces:
The public is advised to consider wearing face coverings in enclosed public spaces such as shops, trains and buses to help reduce the spread of coronavirus.
- How to wear and make a cloth face covering:
A cloth face covering should cover your mouth and nose while allowing you to breathe comfortably. It can be as simple as a scarf or bandana that ties behind the head.
- How to wear and make a cloth face covering:
- What parents and carers need to know about schools and other education settings during the coronavirus outbreak:
Information for parents and carers about the wider opening of nurseries, schools and colleges, transport, attendance, free school meals and remote education.
- Guidance on access to green spaces.
This guidance sets out the key principles of enjoying the benefits of being outside while protecting yourself and others from coronavirus.
- New transport guidance for passengers and operators (as introduced to parliament).
- Guidance for people using transport or working in the transport sector.
- Safer travel guidance for passengers.
Walking, cycling, and travelling in vehicles or on public transport
- Guidance to ensure transport network is safe for those using it.
New guidance provides advice on how passengers should make journeys safely.
- Guidance for schools & other educational settings.
For staff, parents, carers, pupils & students.
PRE 12th May advice – some may still be in force but those above will superseded these:
- CBC Residents Information Pack:
A comprehensive compendium of essential contacts ranging from food supplies to councillors, from support groups to how to get a delivery slot.
- Guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection;
A guide to symptoms, how long to isolate and what can be done to protect the vulnerable.
- Appeal from Cllr Finch & Dr Gogarty to socially distance;
Cllr David Finch and Dr Mike Gogarty express their dismay about the behaviour of members of the public after the government issued very clear appeals to socially distance.
- ECC Briefing to Parish Councils – 11th March 2020;
This includes a situation report, information from the Director of Public Health and their communications plan.
- Symptom checker:
Relevant Local News Items
To read the whole article please click on the heading…
- Free Meals & Transport - Age Concern Launch Free Lunch Initiative If you aren't interested in Free Lunch, then skip on down to the COVID19 Transport article. Age Concern are currently running a free Lunch Club to engage those in later years who may be lonely. Also to help encourage a resumption of socialising as we leave COVID19 restrictions. Six free lunches are available per… …
- COVID, St Mary’s Booster Sessions, Transport & Carol Cancellation - St Mary's Booster Sessions St Mary's are running Booster sessions every Tuesday & Friday between 9:30 am - 2:30 pm. Nik, from the pharmacy, is leading these sessions with help from a steady band of volunteers to keep traffic flowing. Check on the NHS website to see availability although note that St Mary's will only show up if there are… …
Continue reading "COVID, St Mary’s Booster Sessions, Transport & Carol Cancellation"
- NHS Declares Major Incident - Major Incident declared by NHS The NHS has declared a major incident in relation to the administration of the COVID 19 booster vaccine. They will use a number of venues to ramp-up vaccinations, including vaccination centres (existing and new); local pharmacies; PCNs (GPs); Hospital Hubs, Pop up centres, drive-thru facilities (probably in unused retail parks e.g. B&Q Hythe), and an outreach… …
- Free Cycle training, Police & Other Updates - Free Cycle Training Through Safer Essex Roads Partnership, ECC is offering free cycle training until the end of March 2022. They have courses available for Children, Adults (beginners to advanced) and even families. Sessions are led by qualified instructors and range from 45 minutes to 3 hours! If you are interested then you should register your interest here. Other updates… …
Continue reading "Free Cycle training, Police & Other Updates"
- St Mary’s Easing Out of Lockdown Edition - Gathered Services & Zoom Plus Other News Coming Out of Lockdown As we await news of when & how we might be coming out of lockdown, this update starts with an update on Gathered Services and then continues with: Murray Harlow,Christian Aid Week,Children's Society Boxes,Finding a New Priest, … and the usual listings of services and contacts but first: Gathered Services Update It’s wonderful… …
- Urgent Need for Volunteers - Volunteers Needed to Support the Local Vaccine Programme The vaccine programme at the West Bergholt Surgery has so far been highly successful. This is as a result of the NHS staff and the many volunteers and Marshalls who have assisted with traffic flow duties and parking during vaccination sessions. The Marshalls fulfil an important task in minimising inconvenience to the… …
- Half Term ‘ActivAte’ & Other News - ActivAte, Broadband, Bowls, Police, COVID, Voting & Toasty As Half-Term looms Active Essex are organising ActivAte sessions for youngsters. In other news we also have: Broadband - ECC are running a survey, make sure you have your say,Bowls' Big Weekend,Colchester Policing Update,COVID-19 Update,Election 2021 - have pen or pencil to hand,Warm & Toasty Newsletter. ActivAte ActiveEssex is organising ActivAte clubs… …
- Holiday Fraud & Other News - Starting with Holiday Fraud, this news roundup also addresses: Climate Emergency Survey,Parenting with Teens - a course supported by ECC,A couple of articles that might have particular resonance after the past 12 months:Domestic Abuse - Lockdown Update.Mental Health in Lockdown.Protect Your Dog & Garden Furniture from Theft.Census first-timer - not sure what to do? There's help.National Day of Reflection -… …
- News Roundup – Fraud Alerts & Newsletters - This news roundup talks about, Vaccine Frauds, Warm & Toasty Newsletter, Train As a Healthcare Support Worker, Essex Family Support eBulletin & Fake NI Calls. …
Continue reading "News Roundup – Fraud Alerts & Newsletters"
- Zoom Quiz Calling - St Mary's Church are organising a Zoom Quiz to raise money to support Families 'Worker, Jo Jeffery's, work. Other news new walks coming. …
- Will you be able to enjoy outdoor bowls this year? - The chance of enjoying outdoor bowls again is, of course, in the hands of COVID-19 and government plans to restrict the virus. Woods Bowls Club, however, has cautiously put some dates forward in anticipation. The club is small but very friendly lawn bowls club that is open to all ages and abilities. The club consists of a mixture of male and… …
Continue reading "Will you be able to enjoy outdoor bowls this year?"
- e-Scooters Coming to Colchester (& other news) - e-Scooters, Befriending, Wellbeing, Fitness & Chitts Hill e-Scooters will kick off this update but we also have updates on: A rather brilliant parody of the Leonard Cohen classic Hallelujah, Sport Works: supporting physical health & mental wellbeing, update on 2020 activities, Age Concern's befriending initiative, Chitts Hill closure, & Micro Grants for organisations. e-Scooters Trial Starting Soon Essex County Council… …
Continue reading "e-Scooters Coming to Colchester (& other news)"
- Community Response Pack & Fake Police - Criminals posing as Police Officers have secured sums as high as £10,000 from unwary members of the public; read about this below, first. CBC has issued another update to its very useful Community Resource Pack. It has 166 pages covering everything you might need to know about coping during the pandemic. Latest CBC COVID-19 Community Response Pack Issued Coming barely… …
- Treating COVID-19 at Home & Vaccine - Essex & Suffolk NHS have issued an introduction to where & how you might be able to get your vaccine in due course. Also guide to self-help. …
- Testing Centre Opens – How to Book & Help - Covid-19 Testing Centre Opens In Colchester A new fast testing centre is opening in Colchester for those who DO NOT have symptoms of Covid-19. Colchester residents with no symptoms are being encouraged to get tested to help reduce the spread of the virus and the pressure it is putting on hospitals and the care system. There is also a call… …
Continue reading "Testing Centre Opens – How to Book & Help"