Environment & Highways – 8th June 2017

Environment & Highways – 8th June 2017

The Environment & Highways Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 8th June and discussed a range of issues including ditches, tree survey, handymen, flooding & fireworks.

Environment & Highways Report

Sub-committee Meeting held on Thursday 8th June 2017 in Orpen Hall

Sub-committee members present John Gili Ross, Philip Spencer, Harry Stone, Jenny Church, Murray Harlow, Janet Crichton, David Short
Apologies None



Election of Chair and Vice chair

John was nominated, seconded and elected as chairperson. Phil was nominated, seconded and elected as vice chair.


Items from last meeting

a)   Roof of duck house will be repaired by handymen.
b)   All the benches in the village have been refurbished.
c)    Blocked ditch in Albany Close is flowing down the Colchester Road ditch and is running clear. The problem is not cured so will need monitoring. The ditch apparently is the responsibility of the adjacent house-owners who back onto the ditch. Laura to write to householders concerned to request they keep their area clear. Laura
d)   Thank you to Adrian Leach for the loan of a pump. Laura
e)   The flooding in Lexden Road that occurs in very wet weather is under control at the moment.


New equipment

The purchase of a tow bar and trailer has been approved by Finance Committee. The trailer is on order. Propose to store the trailer in the Mumford Road garage for the time being when it arrives.  New salt bags will need to be stored elsewhere.

The Stihl hedge cutter is awaiting delivery.

JGR & Phil


Handymen work

a)   David is indisposed with a damaged foot but can still complete some tasks. In the meantime, Matt is currently working with his father-in-law Nigel.
b)   The bollards to be replaced at entrance to school from New Church Road have been ordered. The new bollards will be placed on both sides of the entrance.
c)    The notice board on the Heath is being repaired by David.
d)   The village sign also needs attention. Laura to contact Bakers of Danbury to find out costings. Laura
e)   Practice goal area is badly worn away around the astro turf from so much use and could cause injuries. Murray will talk to Ivor and ask his advice and give us a quote to consider extending the astroturf area. Also to look up Sportsafe on internet for more information. MH


Village tree survey.

The survey of all trees on Village Trustee land has been carried out by Phil and John. Phil has produced maps of the 3 areas as a Trust Land Tree register. All trees are marked and there is a supporting list of the tree types. TPOs as needed will be added later. This is excellent work and we appreciate Phil’s efforts. Phil


Heather on the Heath.

During the tree survey an important patch of heather was discovered on the Heath. This will need protecting to encourage growth and spread. Suggest talks need to be had with representatives from school on how to protect this. This should be an agenda item on the next PC meeting. Laura


Letter from Heathlands Firework Committee

It is unclear if this is an Environment or Premises Sub-committee item.  John to meet with Brian to discuss the situation. JGR
Date of next meeting –  Thursday 13th July 2017 at 6pm in upstairs room in Orpen Hall.


Skip to content