St Mary’s – Preparing for Easter
This news update includes notices of upcoming services and other events of interest both in the Easter period and after.
Amazing Grace is being performed by the Oddments Theatre Company on Friday 11th March at Christ Church, Ireton Road, Colchester. Starting at 7:30pm tickets are £7.50 booked in advance (call the Church office on 01206 542307) or £10 on the door.
Amazing Grace is the incredible true story of John Newton: a sailor who turned his back on God, a man of no morals and a trader of slaves. Set in the height of the slave trade in the 18th century, a cast of five take the audience on a dramatic journey of discovery as John finds out about God’s infinite love and saving grace. The production is an hour and a half long plus an interval and will be an enjoyable and moving evening of entertainment. It is suitable for ages 14+ and features music, an exciting set and period costumes.
Good Friday at the Mercury Theatre
Being led by Seeking God’s Blessing for Colchester, this event is themed on “Hope undefeated” and it takes place on Friday 25th March commencing at 7:30pm, the Speaker will be Rev Mark Ambrose, admission is free – retiring offering. Seeking God’s Blessing for Colchester works to enable Christian Churches and Agencies in the Borough of Colchester to work together so that the world may believe in Jesus. The group is also planning a ‘Walk of Witness’ through the town centre on Good Friday with further details being announced once agreed with the various statutory bodies.
Other Diary Dates
All the following are at St Mary’s, West Bergholt unless otherwise stated:
- Tue 23 Feb – 8pm – Lent Group
- Thu 25 Feb – 9am – Coffee Morning
- Sun 28 Feb – 9:30am – Morning Worship
- Sun 28 Feb – 8am – BCP Communion, All Saints
- Sun 28 Feb – 9:30am – Communion, St Mary’s, Langham
- Sun 28 Feb – 11:15am – Communion, All Saints’, Gt Horkesley
- Tue 01 Mar – 8pm – Lent Group
- Thu 03 Mar – 9am – Coffee Morning
- Thu 03 Mar – 2:30pm – 5T’s
- Fri 04 Mar – 4pm – Women’s World Day of Prayer (see below)
- Fri 04 Mar – 7:45pm – Wired
- Sat 05 Mar – Vocations Day, Christ Church, Ireton Road (see below)
- Sun 06 Mar – 9:30am – Mothering Sunday Communion Service
- Sun 06 Mar – 9:30am – Communion, St Mary’s, Langham
- Sun 06 Mar – 11:15am – Mothering Sunday Parade Service, All Saints’, Gt Horkesley
- Sun 20 Mar – 11:15am – Palm Sunday – Communion
- Thu 24 Mar – 8pm – Maundy Thursday – Fellowship Meal at St John’s, Great Horkesley
- Fri 25 Mar – 10am – Good Friday – Service
- Sun 27 Mar – 9:30am – Easter Sunday – Communion
- Sat 16 Apr – Training day at West Bergholt on prayer & healing ministry
- Sun 17 Apr – 11:15am – Communion
- Sun 17 Apr – Annual Parochial Church Meeting – after communion service
Women’s World Day of Prayer
This year we will be having afternoon tea at 4pm followed by the service at 4.45pm. The service has been written by Christian women from Cuba on the theme ‘Receive children, receive me.’ Children & men welcome!
Being held at Christ Church, Ireton Road, Colchester this is a day’s course to think about your discipleship in the church and the world. For further details please phone 01245 294453 or email Geoff Read – [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”].
- Sun 28 Feb – Luke 13:1-9 – Jesus calls the people to repent.
- Sun 06 March – Luke 2:33-35 – Mary & Joseph bring Jesus to the Temple.