The first item is about the Cleaner/Caretaker role but, if other news interests you, skip to it with these links:
Orpen Hall Needs a Cleaner/Caretaker
A Cleaner/Caretaker is required for the Orpen Hall Complex, Lexden Rd, West Bergholt.
This is a permanent position, based at the Orpen Memorial Hall for up to 16 hours a week on average. Exact cleaning times will be agreed with the Hall Administrator but will typically be:
- 2 hours daily either early morning or between 4 – 6 pm,
- Monday to Thursday, with alternate Fridays & Saturdays.
The caretaker role will involve opening and closing the hall for regular and occasional hirers. This will be “as required” both during the week and at weekends. This role may also involve:
- putting out chairs, tables, and other equipment in the hall ready for hirers, and
- putting away afterwards, if required.
The hours worked will be consistent with the day-to-day use of the Orpen Hall and should on average not exceed 16 hours per week, including the 10 hours cleaning.
Salary & Expectations
Salary will be paid monthly at Local Government Scale SCP 9, £12.02 per hour, with holiday entitlement and pension scheme.
Applicants must be able to work responsibly and flexibly. It is essential that the successful applicant can work on their own and use their initiative. They would also be expected to undertake any necessary training, such as health & safety.
For further details please contact the Parish Clerk by e-mail to clerk @westbergholt-pc.gov.uk or on 07726 424419.
The closing date for letters of application is 21st March 2023, with interviews being arranged shortly after that date.
You can download a copy of the Job Description together with full list of duties here.
Social Broadband Tariffs
Social broadband tariffs are discounted broadband deals available to people receiving Universal Credit and other benefits. They could save eligible residents up to £144 a year
on their broadband bills. Ofcom has revealed that only 3% of eligible households are taking advantage of social broadband tariffs.
Who / Where / How?
Several broadband providers are offering low-cost broadband deals to eligible residents in Essex.
- BT Home Essentials – starting at £15 a month, plus £9.99 P&P
- Hyperoptic Fair Fibre Plan – starting at £15 a month
- NOW Broadband Basics – £20 a month
- Sky Broadband Basics – £20 a month
- Virgin Media O2 Essential broadband – £12.50 a month
- Virgin Media O2 Essential broadband plus – £20 a month
- Vodafone Essentials Broadband – £12 a month
- TalkTalk – free broadband for six months for jobseekers on Universal Credit who don’t have an internet connection (contact your Jobcentre Plus work coach)
Please be aware that some offers may not be available at your address. For full details of each deal, visit the provider’s website.
Recycling Centres – Booking Needed from Monday 13th
From Monday 13th March 2023, residents visiting Essex County Council (ECC) recycling centres will need to book in advance. A booking system will be trialled for all vehicles visiting ECC recycling centres to help:
- manage waiting times,
- reduce congestion, and
- improve the customer experience.
The booking process has already been trialled for all vehicles using Rayleigh Recycling Centre, and also for large vehicles using the nine van-friendly sites. Both trials have been effective in smoothing the pattern of demand across operating hours and reducing queues and congestion both in and around the sites. Site users visiting by foot do not need to book a slot. Blue Badge holders do not need to book a slot. For more information and how to book a slot please click here.
Don’t forget upcoming roadworks include:
- 15th – 16th March – Colchester Road – two-way signals by Armoury Road,
- 20th March for 4 days – Chapel Road closed between Lexden Road and Colchester Road,
- 27th March for 3 days – Newbridge Hill NE of Argents Lane,
- 24th May for 3 days – Chapel Lane, near Spring Lane.
You can always view the latest roadworks on our website here.