Vacant Allotments – Grow Your Own
As a new growing year approaches a small number of plots have become available to let to village residents. The standard price is £16 per year for up to a 5 rod plot with concessions for those over 60, and starter plots are available.
The benefits of joining over eighty other village residents are:
- Reduce weekly household costs by growing your own fruit and vegetables.
- Enjoy organically produced produce.
- Benefit from West Bergholt fresh air and exercise.
- Make new friends and enjoy the company of fellow plot holders.
- (See more below)
The downsides are:
- The battle against the weather and pests.
- The need for a regular commitment of a few hours a week.
Support is available through a “buddies” scheme for those with limited experience in growing fruit and vegetables.
Further Benefits of Allotment Gardening
The National Allotment Society adds more, for example:
- 30 minutes of gardening can burn around 150 calories, this is teh same as low impact aerobics,
- 15 minutes (fair skinned) to 90 minutes (darker-skinned) a day can build levels of Vitamin D,
- creates a wildlife habitat maintaining biodiversity.