BHYFC Results 29th September and Fixtures for 6th October

Bergholt Heath Youth Football ClubBergholt Heath YFC – Results 29th September

Great Bradfords (Braintree) vs BHYFC Under 9s

Our Under 9s had the longest away match this weekend when they went to Braintree to face Great Bradfords.  They started the match the liveliest and had the greater possession and opportunities, the best falling to Theo whose well struck shot was equally matched by a super save from the Gt Bradfords ‘keeper.

As with last week, the defence were keeping the opposition at bay and able to take the ball up the pitch to support the midfield.  All the players were once again passing the ball round superbly.  However… despite their possession Bergholt fell behind when the home team got down the wing and the cross was bundled in at the far post.  This buoyed Gt Bradfords to then stretch their lead when their striker got through the defence and gave Daniel in goal no chance with a powerful strike from close range.

At Half time the Bergholt manager told the boys that they had the ability to get back into the game – they just needed to believe it.  They took the words to heart and took the game to the home team.  This created a very open game and gave Gt Bradfords more chances to attack but the defence held firm. Even when the home team got past the defence, Daniel in goal was in fine  – and brave – form.  The solidity at the back gave the midfield confidence to counter attack.

Bergholt got on the score sheet with a fabulous team goal. Billy and Joseph between them stopped the Gt Bradfords attack and passed the ball to Thomas H who ran at the midfield before passing the ball out wide where Thoma L was backing up on the overlap.  His powerful cross was met first time by Theo who smashed the ball into the back of the net.  The Bergholt supporters (and manager!) went wild.

Bergholt were back in the game and continuing to press.  The same combination nearly carved out another goal when Thomas L was upended just outside the area.  Rather than going for goal he passed the ball to Theo inside the area but Gt Bradfords had enough players back to smother the danger.  Despite all their efforts, including a great run from Oliver in the last couple of minutes, Bergholt couldn’t find the equaliser.

Bergholt Heath player of the match: Joseph Watkins – some vital tackles when needed.

Feering Falcom Blues vs BHYFC Under 11

The Under 11s were also away to a strong Feering Falcons Blues team and despite playing well, were on the back of a 4-1 defeat.

East Thurrock United vs BHYFC Under 15

Completing the hat trick of away matches, a depleted Under 15 side were away to East Thurrock United in round one of the Essex Cup.  After making a couple of early chances, Bergholt fell behind under the first serious pressure from the home team when the make shift defence made two errors in quick succession that allowed the striker to get the ball into the net from close range. This knocked Bergholt back and gave the home team extra confidence, and for the next 15 minutes they tried to increase their lead by continuously playing the ball over the top of the Bergholt defence, aided by the strong wind.  However they only created once clear cut chance that resulted in Jamie heading the ball off the line for the third match in a row.

Bergholt gradually pulled their way back into the match and the last 10 minutes of the first half saw them create a few half chances, without seriously testing the home ‘keeper.

The second half started with renewed vigour.  Without playing particularly well, Bergholt started to compete for the ball better and were winning their share of 50-50 balls: something they failed to do in the first half.  With the wind at their backs Bergholt were getting into the final third of the pitch regularly and only poor choices of final ball was preventing clear cut chances.  With 15 minutes to go,Bergholt finally got back on terms when the Thurrock ‘keeper failed to hold a fairly routine short, pushing up into the air.  Ben Ashurst, who had followed the ball in, was first to react by bundling the loose ball over the line.  Bergholt were now the ones to have their tails up with shots whistling past the post and over the bar.  When it was looking like extra time was needed, a cross from James Holden was controlled in the box by Max Booth, who then rifled it into the roof of the net.  Less than a minute later the final whistle went.  Final Score: East Thurrock 1-2 Bergholt Heath.

Bergholt Heath man of the match: Aaron Marley.

Next weeks fixtures, Sunday 6th October:

  • Colchester Villa Yellows vs Under 9
  • Feering Falcon Reds vs Under 11
  • FC Clacton Blues vs Under 15
Skip to content