BHYFC Results 23rd March and Fixtures 30th March

Bergholt Heath Youth Football ClubBergholt Heath YFC – Results 23rd March

BHYFC Under 9s vs Rowhedge

After a 9 o’clock call to say Daniel was not well enough to play this week, a quick pre-match re-jig of the team sheet was required. Thomas L donned the gloves and took his position between the sticks.

He was called into action fairly quickly as Rowhedge nearly scored with their first attack.  This was just the start of it as within five minutes Bergholt found themselves 2-0 down.  Both shots gave Thomas little chance; the first at close range and the second a well hit effort which flew into the top corner.  The game settled down a bit after that and Rowhedge continued to press passing the ball extremely well but Bergholt held out.  This was however until Rowhedge won a corner and it was swung in at the near post where the unfortunate Billy put the ball into his own net. This was added to by another close range effort when Bergholt failed to clear their lines.

To their credit the Bergholt boys didn’t let their heads drop and Oliver and Theo went on the attack and from this the ball fell to James on the edge of the Rowhedge box and his low well-struck drive went under the keeper’s body and into the net.

HT 1-4.

After the break, the game was much more of an even affair as Bergholt clearly lifted by the late first half goal stepped up their performance. They attacked with much more purpose and vigour and looked the more likely team to score. Theo came close as did Billy who went on one of his mazy runs again (3rd week on the trot) and having beaten half the Rowhedge team and with just the keeper to beat, saw the £20 reward from his parents for his first ever goal get snatched from his hand as the defender managed to get back to him and did just enough to put Billy off getting a clean shot. The second half ended goalless and so the half-time score was also the full-time score of 1-4. A shame for Thomas L and his record as a goalie as he had a really good game making some excellent saves.

This game has hopefully given the boys some food for thought over how they need to get into the game right from the first whistle and also take heart on the way they tried to recover the situation.

Bergholt Heath player of the match: Theo Baker – a very energetic performance in midfield, with some excellent running at pace at the defence

Colchester Villa Blues vs BHYFC Under 11s

A poor performance saw this match slip away with the boys just not being on top of their game. The home team eventually ran out comfortable 6-1 winners.

BHYFC Under 15s vs Stanway Rovers

The fourth – and final – meeting of the season between the two local rivals saw the visitors take the game to Bergholt at the beginning of the match looking to avenge the losses suffered in all 3 previous games.  Stanway had most of the play in the first 20 minutes and although they seemed to be able to cut through the midfield, the Bergholt defence, with new signing Joe playing his first game against his old club, restricted the visitors to long wild shorts that rarely troubled Connor in goal.   As the half wore on Bergholt came more into the match and start to play their passing game and start to create chances. Owen managed to squeeze between 2 defenders to poke the ball beyond the keeper, but the ball rolled agonizingly the wrong side of the post. Just a minute before half time a neat passage of play found Ben in acres of space at the far post and he had time to control the ball and pick his spot to send Bergholt into the break 1-0 up.

The manager asked the players to get closer to their opposition in the second half and prevent them playing, and the boys did just that. The possession – and chances – quickly swung in Bergholt’s favour. Just 5 minutes into the half and Bergholt were awarded a penalty when a defender missed the ball and connected with Owen’s leg instead. Up stepped Ollie to plant the ball comfortably into the corner of the net to 2-0. A flurry of corners followed and from the third in quick succession Jamie chased the clearance out to the edge of the area and turned to send it back towards goal, only for a defender to handle. Up came Ollie again to send an even better penalty into the roof of the net. By now Bergholt were clearly on top looking to score with every attack. With ten minutes remaining and after yet another corner had been half cleared, Jamie yet again chased the clearance down. Hearing Ollie’s call he swiftly moved aside to see Ollie hit a superb first time shot from just outside the area into the bottom corner for his hat-trick and Bergholt’s 4th of the game. However this goal seemed to signal the OK for players to stop working so hard at tracking their players and within 2 minutes Stanway pulled a goal back when their midfielders broke through and outnumbered the Bergholt defence to see the striker slot the ball beyond Connor and into the corner of the net from 8 yards. The last few minutes of the match were played out with no real chances to either team. Final score: Bergholt Heath 4 – 1 Stanway Rovers.

Bergholt Heath ‘man of the match’: Leo Tiffney – tireless working in wide midfield.

Next week’s fixtures, Sunday 30th March:

  • Under 9 vs Lawford Juniors, KO 10am
  • Under 11 No game
  • Wivenhoe Youth vs Under 15
Skip to content