BHYFC Results 9th March and Fixtures 16th March

Bergholt Heath Youth Football ClubBergholt Heath YFC – Results 9th March

Oyster Youth vs BHYFC Under 9s

After a four week absence from playing a game, the Bergholt manager knew that the first half was going to be a tough one for the boys to get back into some kind of rhythm.  The Oyster Youth pitch has been waterlogged for this period and so the grass has not been cut and so the combination of long grass and a bit of rustiness meant that often in the first half the Bergholt passes were a little short.  The hosts, having played a fortnight ago were the sharper of the teams with the visitor’s only meaningful attack resulting in a cross from Thomas H which zipped across the penalty box agonisingly between the two Baker brothers who were in the box. The introduction of the first set of substitutes did give Bergholt a bit of momentum with Nicholas in particular catching the eye with some super dribbling. However, Oyster did get their reward when they got past the Bergholt defence and the striker, one on one with Daniel, rammed the ball home. HT 1-0 to Oyster Youth.

The Bergholt manager told the boys at half-time that if they made their passes stronger then they would get their reward and sure enough they did this and the game was played predominately in the Oyster half. The boys attacked with much more purpose and with the cobwebs having disappeared, Bergholt were having more success in particularly down the right hand side with Billy taking the ball from defence to the edge of the Oyster box. Theo came close several times to connecting with goal-scoring opportunities but each time his timing was slightly out, whilst Joe and Ollie tried to get on the score sheet as well. Bergholt did get their deserved equaliser when Freddie swung in a corner and Theo pounced at the near post to equalise.

Bergholt tried to then push on and get the next goal and the same combination came close to doing this when Freddie’s clearance found Theo outside the box and his half-volley was superbly struck but flew just over the bar.

Try as they could Bergholt just couldn’t apply the final touch required, and having scored in the last minute to win against Reed Hall in the last game, were unfortunately on the reverse of this when indecision in the defence led to the Oyster Youth striker pouncing to get the winner. FT 2-1.

A real shame as Bergholt played themselves back into the game after a slow start and a win would have rounded off the weekend nicely following the Colchester United tour and Guard of Honour.

Bergholt Heath player of the match: Eddie Davies – some excellent tackles and clearances today epitomised by the sprint back to get a vital block in after going up pitch to help support the attack.

Cornard Dymanos Reds vs BHYFC Under 11s

The Under 11s ran out 2-0 winners in the match courtesy of goals from Thomas Whitlow and Jonah Murray.

Man of the match went to Ben Sams.

FC Clacton Blues vs BHYFC Under 15s – League Cup Quarter final

The defence of the cup ended at the quarter final stage but the result did not reflect the match.  All the football was played by Bergholt who took the lead in the 7th minute when Max got on the end of a free kick from Sam.  Bergholt looked comfortable in possession and appeared not to be in any danger of conceding, but as the game wore on, encouraged by some voracious support and ever more physical challenges, Clacton started to wear Bergholt down – the referee not offering any protection at all from two footed challenges and flying elbows.

Mid-way through the second half Clacton equalised when the ball somehow found its way into the far corner of the net from a cross-come-shot.  Bergholt looked to bounce back and had a clear penalty decision turned down when the defender lunged from behind, nowhere near getting the ball, and the referee gave a corner!  Clacton now appeared to be able to do anything they wanted, spurred on by ever more choice language from their coaching team.

In the last minute a superb challenge in the Bergholt box had them screaming for a penalty that clearly wasn’t, only for an innocent tangle of legs a few seconds later which gave the referee the chance to blow his whistle for a spot kick.  It was duly despatched to give Clacton the winner and put them through to the semi final – not before yet another 2 footed challenge went unpunished again. Bergholt ended the match with a few blooded noses – literally!

Bergholt Heath man of the match – Sam Clark, stood up to the physical challenge and tried to lead by example.

Next weeks fixtures, Sunday 16th March:

  • Gt Bradfords vs Under 9
  • Under 11 – should have an away freindly, to be confirmed
  • Under 15 vs Elmden Rovers, KO 10.30am


Skip to content