BHYFC Results 30th March and Fixtures 6th April

Bergholt Heath Youth Football ClubBergholt Heath YFC – Results 30th March

BHYFC Under 9s vs Lawford Juniors

To make sure that the match did not impinge too much on Mother’s Day, kick-off was brought forward to 10am from its usual slot of 11am.  The Bergholt manager was hoping that this early kick-off, coupled with the clocks going forward, didn’t result in a similar outcome as with last week’s game where the boys paid the price for being slow out of the blocks.   He need not have worried as it was Bergholt who were the much brighter side in the opening exchanges with the midfield really attacking Lawford with pace and purpose. Unlike last week the boys were all calling to each other which made the game easier for them and they got their reward when one of these attacks saw Theo coolly tuck the ball into the bottom of the net.

This early(ish) goal gave Bergholt a real lift and they continued to press, in particular down both flanks, with Joe supporting the attack from left back and Thomas H having success down the right. And it was from another Bergholt surge where the ball was fed to Theo who slipped his marker and slammed the ball past the advancing keeper to score his, and Bergholt’s, second goal.

Lawford then picked themselves up and tried to get back into the game but the defence and Daniel were coping easily with any problems. Daniel’s long kicks were drawing admiration from all, in particular the Lawford coach, and they were a good way of trying to get on the attack again. HT 2-0.

With the need to get on the score sheet, Lawford attacked from the start of the second half and were at one point laying siege to the Bergholt defence, who stood resolutely and protected Daniel extremely well. Despite Lawford picking up their game, Bergholt continued to play their best passing game of the season with Oliver and Thomas L in particular having some nice interchanges down the right. Chances for Bergholt were limited as Lawford changed their system to play with five in attack and one in defence and Bergholt had Daniel to thank when he tipped a long-range effort which was heading for the top corner round the post. Bergholt did have a chance to extend their lead when Billy with his customary charge from right-back, burst into the Lawford penalty box but was unable to get past the keeper with his effort.

Final score 2-0 to Bergholt. An excellent game where each team dominated in one half and played in a really good spirit – so much so that both managers agreed that the teams should play each other again in a pre-season friendly later in the year.

Bergholt Heath player of the match: Theo Baker – the first player to win consecutive player of the match awards – not just for his brace but once again for his all-round energy and commitment.

 Wivenhoe Youth Blues vs BHYFC Under 15s

A 2pm kick off away at Wivenhoe on Mother’s day didn’t go down well in some quarters. Bergholt were again short of numbers with James Holden entering his 4th month out injured, joined this week by defenders Aaron and Joe. The loss of these two saw the manager having to juggle things round with Luke slotting into left back for his first ever game there.

The late kick off still didn’t appear to allow some of the Bergholt players to wake up and from the first whistle the home team looked sharper and took the game to Bergholt. With only 10 minutes gone Wivenhoe took the lead when some poor tracking back from a throw in allowed the home team to engineer a chance and the striker stuck out a boot as the cross flew in to direct the ball into the net. The goal didn’t appear to wake Bergholt up immediately and the hosts continued to carve out chances, although as the half went on Bergholt slowly started to get to grips with the game and begin to play their passing game. However just before half time Connor’s goal kick was left to go unchallenged in the middle of the park and Wivenhoe returned the ball with interest for the striker to run onto and lob Connor who was yet to retreat back into goal.

Half time saw the Bergholt manager tell a few home truths about desire and the will to win, and the second half started with the players looking a little more eager without really making any inroads towards the Wivenhoe goal.  With 15 minutes gone the visitors finally got on the score sheet when Luke reacted first to a loose ball out on the left to hit a high shot over the top of the Wivenhoe ‘keeper and into the net. Bergholt were now looking much brighter and the game was taking place more in the Wivenhoe half than the Bergholt one. For the final 10 minutes the manager switched to 3 at the back with Tom coming in at central defence and Sam moving up front to try and rescue the game, although the home side were always looking to hit a third goal on the break so the remaining defenders – marshaled well by Jamie – had to win some important challenges to give the team the chance of equalising. Unfortunately apart from a couple of half chances and one free kick that deflected off the wall, Bergholt never really looked liked scoring and at the final whistle they were left reflecting on a poor first half display that ultimately cost them the match.

FT: Wivenhoe 2 – 1 Bergholt Heath.

Bergholt Heath ‘ man of the match’: Luke Bloomfield – worked hard in an unfamiliar role and took his goal superbly.

Next weeks fixtures – Sunday 6th April:

  • Tempest vs Under 9
  • Tempest vs Under 11
  • Under 15 – No game
Skip to content