Welcome to West Bergholt
This page is no longer the Home Page of this site. Please use menu options above to navigate.
West Bergholt is a large rural Essex village lying near the border of the English counties of Essex and Suffolk. It is situated just outside and to the North-west of Colchester – Britain’s Oldest Recorded town. West Bergholt has a population of around 3,500 consisting of about 1,400 households. The village itself dates back to mediaeval times and has a well-documented history. In 2016 the village won the Class 2 prize in the RCCE Village of the year competition and overall 2nd place, read the news item for more.
The village is part of the Colchester Borough Council seat of West Bergholt & Eight Ash Green, and has its own Parish Council. All agendas, minutes and annual reports of the Parish Council and its working parties & sub-committees can be found on this site through the main menu under Parish Council.
This site also aims to deliver news, social and other local event and community information in and around the village of West Bergholt. If you have anything you would like to see recorded here please do contact the parish clerk or webmaster (contacts below). Please do also contact us with anything you feel to be missing.
If you are new to the village, the following ‘guided tour’ of on-line information might be useful:
- The About Us section of the website includes a brief intro to the village, some detailed pages on the village history and a number of local contacts,
- Village Life explores the local community, schools, churches, businesses, voluntary groups, play areas, walks and much more,
- Clubs provides details of and news updates from many of the clubs based in the village,
- Social will tell you where locals socialise from
the local pubs to the Social Club and Orpen Hall,
- News will list all recent news items from the Parish Council, Clubs and other organizations who regularly pass news to our webmaster; this section also includes the ‘Village Diary’ listing all club & other meetings we are aware of, and a roadworks map so you can check if any are planned near you before travelling,
- The Bulletin page contains an archive of all published Village Bulletins and Newsletters going back to 2006,
- The next two menu links are the ‘official’ Parish Council and Neighbourhood Plan sections of the website including
copies of all documents, and
- The final menu item is a list of links that might be of interest.
Many in and around West Bergholt also use Facebook, there are 3 main Facebook Pages to consider following:
westbergholt – this page is administered by the Parish Council and links to all news and other reports as they are posted on this website;
groups/west.bergholt.np – this is a closed group (you can apply to join it) where it is possible to enter into debate about the new Neighbourhood Plan; and
groups/1457946441130612/ – which is the West Bergholt Hub & Community Group open to any having an interest in the village (including several from well outside the village, some of whom are looking for sales opportunities), where there is free and open discussion on many matters of local interest.
This website provides many links and contacts for clubs and other organisations involved in supporting village life, should you wish to contact the parish council, the following contact details are for the Clerk to the Parish Council. Direct any queries about the website to our webmaster whose email details are also provided below: