… well maybe not quite as dramatic as that but we are going to get new Police & Crime Commissioner (PCC) elected in November who will have authority to make a real difference in policing in our community.
A PCC is independent and will be elected to oversee how crime will be tackled in the Essex police force area.
Their aim will be to cut crime and to ensure Essex Police is effective. They will bring more of a public voice to policing and they will do this by:
- regularly engaging and meeting with the public to help set police and crime plans;
- ensuring the police force budget is spent where it matters most; and
- appointing the chief constable, and (if necessary) dismissing them if they have not performed well.
The PCC will not ‘run’ Essex Police. Chief constables will continue to be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the police force, but they will be accountable to the public via PCCs.
Polling is on 15th November and the candidates, as declared by the Police Area Returning Officer on 19th October, are as follows:
- Nick ALSTON – Chelmsford – The Conservative Party Candidate
- Linda BELGROVE – Alresford, Tendring – Independent
- Val MORRIS-COOK – Chafford & North Stifford, Thurrock – The Labour Party Candidate
- Andrew George SMITH – 69 Hemnall Street, Epping, Essex, CM16 4LZ – United Kingdom Independence Party
- Mick THWAITES – Shoeburyness, Southend-on-Sea – Independent
- Robin TILBROOK – Quires Green, Willingale, Essex, CM5 0QP – English Democrats – “More Police – Catching Criminals!”