This is an Archive Page
Welcome! The information on these pages introduces you to the world of Neighbourhood Planning and the proposals for producing a Neighbourhood Plan for West Bergholt.
NEW – join the conversation at our Facebook Group! Click the image to connect.
The Neighbourhood Plan for our Parish is now fully developed and its fast on its way to becoming a statutory planning document which will determine the pace and extent of further development proposals in our area. The Community-based Steering group with support from West Bergholt Parish Council and Colchester Borough Council has now undertaken the following pieces of work:
- Established the area for the neighbourhood plan to cover which coincides with the parish boundary.
- Conducted surveys to gauge general interest in developing a NP with a range of people from residents and businesses through to young people at Heathlands School and older students at a range of secondary schools and at the sixth form college.
- Undertaken workshops with the community to understand the priorities needed for the future of our village and parish
- Obtained funding to support detailed aspects of the plan.
- Produced a preliminary evidence base which will be vital in establishing the areas that the community wants the plan to focus upon.
- Held a two month consultation exercise aimed at confirming the issues and options that will be the mainstay of the plan. See here for details of this consultation and how to take part.
- Held two consultations on the draft plan including the Regulation 14 consultation which revealed the preferred locations for new housing.
- Submitted the final plan for independent examination and ultimately a referendum.
So what exactly is Neighbourhood Planning?
Neighbourhood Plans are relatively new so you may not have heard of them yet. Neighbourhood Planning is a new right for communities to create agreed policies and proposals for their localities. For us, this will be for West Bergholt and the surrounding Parish area.
We will use the plan to decide the future development of West Bergholt including answering the following:
- Where should new houses, shops or employment areas be built?
- Should they be built?
- Do we want further community assets and amenities?
- Should we preserve existing open spaces and provide more?
- Aside from development aspects what other improvements do you want to see in areas such as traffic, policing, environmental improvements etc?
The list could be endless – but is nevertheless of vital importance and we must make and agree the plan with you.
Why should we consider producing a Neighbourhood Plan?
The localism agenda is developing quickly and communities need to respond to the opportunities that exist following recent legislation. Elsewhere on these pages is a a commentary on the benefits of producing a plan for our community.
Who is responsible for preparing the plan?
The Parish Council sponsors the Plan, but a Steering Group oversees the plan and comprises members of the wider community with over 20 people drawn from all walks of life.
The Steering Group is a voluntary but constituted body which met monthly in its early stages although at the present time only meets when the statutory planning process demands it. The Steering Group is held in public normally in the John Lampon Hall on the first Wednesday of the month at 7.30pm.
The Neighbourhood Plan Area.
Following application to the Borough Council and a consultation period during the summer, the Neighbourhood Plan Area corresponds to the Parish area of West Bergholt.
If you would like to find out more, then visit these pages on this website:
Contact us to find out more!
The more people who get involved, the better so if you want to find out more, then email or call either me, the secretary or the communications officer at the contact points below. We would love to hear from you. For the present, the Steering Group is awaiting the outcome of Regulation 16 consultations by Colchester Borough Council before it meets again.
- Chair – Chris Stevenson ([antibot mailto=”[email protected]”])
- Communications – Murray Harlow ([antibot mailto=”[email protected]”])
- Group Administrator – Laura Walkingshaw ([antibot mailto=”[email protected]”])
Recent news items
To read the whole article please click on the heading…
- Good News for Neighbourhood Plan - Colchester Local Plan Gives a Boost to our Neighbourhood Plan Colchester adopted Section 2 of its' Local Plan (CLP) on 4th July 2022, this is good news for our Neighbourhood Plan. You may well recall the upset when, on appeal,… …
- The Final Hurdle - The Final Hurdle In March 2013 the Parish Council launched the Neighbourhood Plan project; we cleared the final hurdle on Wednesday night. Wednesday saw Colchester Borough Council approve the plan to make it official policy. We reached the "home straight"… …
- West Bergholt goes to the polls early! - West Bergholt goes to the polls early! The residents of West Bergholt will go to the polls on Thursday 19th September to decide to adopt their local Neighbourhood Plan. So far the presence of the emerging Neighbourhood Plan has been… …
- Gladman Appeal – The Result Is In - Gladman Appeal - The Result Is In We have now received the results of the Gladman Appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. The Inspector considered all contributions including those from the Borough and Parish Council - and of course yourselves. The… …
- Decision Time for Neighbourhood Plan - Decision Time for Neighbourhood Plan After nearly 7 years of planning and consultation, it is now decision time for the West Bergholt Neighbourhood Plan. The Statutory 'Regulation 16' Consultation has taken place and some changes recommended. Consequently, a final version… …
- Consultation Update on Playground Equipment - Consultation Update on Playground Equipment This consultation update follows the announcement of the SurveyMonkey questionnaire in April. The survey carried out by the Parish Council on the proposal to upgrade and expand the range of the play equipment at the… …
- Gladman Appeal Petition – Make An Impact - Gladman Appeal Petition The Gladman Appeal hearing is starting at 10.am on Tuesday 14th May in the Council Chambers. If you oppose this unwelcome development then please help in the following ways: Sign Online Petition Cllr Lewis Barber has set… …
- Neighbourhood Plan Submitted for Ratification - Neighbourhood Plan Submitted for Ratification West Bergholt submitted its final draft Neighbourhood Plan to Colchester Borough Council for ratification in late December last year. This followed endorsement of the Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group’s proposals by the Parish Council at its… …
- Gladman Appeal – Deadline for Submissions - Gladman Appeal - Deadline for Submissions The deadline for submissions to the Gladmans' appeal is looming large. You have until 15th September to submit your comments for the appeal which will be held in January. Among other, the Parish Council… …
- Round 2 of Protest against NEEB Planning - Round 2 of Protest against NEEB Planning Round 2 of the protest against NEEB Holdings Planning Application started yesterday and will come to a head tonight. As a recap, just a few weeks ago CBC's Planning Department recommended approval of the application;… …