Minutes of Parish Council 23rd October 2019

Minutes of Parish Council Meeting

Held in the John Lampon Hall on 23rd Oct 2019 at 7.30 pm

Chairman: Cllr Chris Stevenson
Parish Councillors Present: Cllrs Harry Stone, Brian Butcher, David Short, John Gili-Ross, Bob Tyrrell, Murray Harlow, Andrew Savage and Phil Spencer
Parish Clerk: Laura Walkingshaw
Borough & County Councillors: None present
Present: 2 members of the public



Receive/accept apologies and welcome to the Public

  Cllrs Jenny Church, Norma Smith and Borough Councilors Willets, Barber and Jarvis.


Questions from registered electors

A resident had a query regarding County Broadband’s intention for the village, as they are currently installing throughout Eight Ash Green. He had also received a flyer about superfast broadband and wanted to know if the PC know if he was able to get BT fibre to his property to the north of Colchester Road.

Cllr Gili-Ross stated that West Bergholt had been a victim of its own success. County Broadband had been on the verge of installing fibre to the property here when Virgin came through the village, then BT installed into the Maltings through a community-funded project which included running fibre to the primary school and those dwellings attached to the same BT cabinet. County Broadband are not thought likely to come back to the village with a fibre offer now although the company has much improved its radio-based internet service in recent months and this does provide capacity for most users.

Cllr Gili-Ross suggested looking at the BT Superfast Broadband programme for a contact to find out what BT’s future plans for the village are.

ACTION – Clerk to forward Superfast Broadband details onto resident.


Declarations of Interest

  DECLARED – Cllr Stevenson declared an interest in matters linked to Essex Highways and indeed Essex County Council as a whole.



RESOLVED – the Minutes of the Parish Council held on Wednesday 25th Sept 2019 were approved and signed by the Chairman, with no amendments. (Link to Minutes P6 Sept 2019)


Report from Colchester Borough Councillors

No report was received from the Borough Councillors.




Statement of accounts for Sept 2019 (Link to P6 Sept 19 Summary)

The final accounts for Sept 2019 were presented as follows:

50% of the way through the financial year. The Parish Council Account showed 96% income after receiving the second half of the precept, 39% general expenditure, 40% environment expenditure and 39% expenditure overall, when the categories of general expenditure & environment are totalled together.



RESOLVED – To approve the payments in accordance with 2019-20 budget. Proposed by Cllr Savage, seconded by Cllr Harlow. All in favour.

Payments List

October 2019
DD Barclays Charges/loyalty points (51.50 – 10.30) 41.20
DD Wave Water bill – Allotments Jun-Sept 19 153.66
GA19106 J & M Payroll Services Oct – wages, tax & NI 4054.42
GA19107 J & M Payroll Services Payroll services 27.00
GA19108 Countrywide Poor’s Land grass cutting – Oct 165.00
GA19109 WBFC  Grass cutting – Oct 40.00
GA19110 Petty Cash Replenishment bulbs, stamps, gloves, petrol, parking 87.48
GA19111 Cox Landscapes Timber and materials – Allotment Fence 42.83
GA19112 Brian Butcher Travel expenses and parking 75.10
GA19113 CBC Emptying of dog/litter bins – Oct-Dec 19 345.80
GA19114 EALC Training – Chairman’s Day 1 – BTB 108.00
GA19115 EALC Training – Chairman’s Day 2 – BTB 108.00
GA19116 Methodist Church Rent for bus shelter 115.00
GA19117 SLCC Essex SLCC/EALC Networking Day – LW 12.00
GA19118 KingServ Web services – Nov 19-Jan 20 264.00
GA19119 Laura Walkingshaw Frame, black material, Kasparsky, keys 66.88
GA19120 Kent Blaxill Rivets, riveter, matlock – devolution 40.06
GA19121 Victoria Beckwith-Cole Spare keys for MUGA floodlight boxes 20.00
GA19122 I M Beckwith Heath – replace 10 bollards & fix 7 345.00
GA19123 Broxap Derby E slimline litter bin – black, 90 ltrs 283.14
GA19124 Nigel Goody Computer work and new parts 360.00
GA19125 WB Litter Warriors Grant from CBC – trugs, pickers & gloves 450.00
GA19126 David Hewitt 3 x Combination padlocks 69.57
Tfr PC Account to Hall VAT Return to Hall – Feb-May 19 705.98
Sub total 7497.45
Tfr Hall to PC Account Wages – Oct -539.24
TOTAL 6958.21


To receive an update on the 2020-21 budget process

Cllr Savage and the Clerk will adjust the 2019-20 budget sheets, removing the Trust items that will no longer be included in the next financial year and Cllr Savage would like to attend the next month’s Trust & Environment Committee meetings as RFO. This is in preparation for the end of November so that we have the figures ready for when we receive the latest tax base numbers and grant figures from Colchester Borough Council.



  The minutes of the Planning Committee meeting held on 22nd October 2019 were received and the decisions made on following applications were noted (Link to Planning P7 Oct 2019):

  • 192387 – 1 Upton Close, CO6 3BJ – Object – The Parish Council still concur with the concerns raised in Colchester Borough Council’s Refusal Decision dated 29/07/19 for the previous planning application 191374. The extension remains too overbearing in this new application and the council have serious concerns regarding the impact on the attached neighbouring property. Please also refer to PP101 and DG82 (VDS) of the recent CBC adopted West Bergholt Neighbourhood Plan.
    1 PP10 – Account should be taken of the guidance and principles in the Village Design Statement.
    2 DG8 – Planning applications must show contextually the impact of their proposals on adjacent building by means of adequately detailed plans with accurate street elevations.
  • 192366 – Tresillian, Bourne Road, CO6 3EL – Observation – The Parish Council has no comment.
  • 192421 – Land off Nayland Road, Alcrofts Ldg, Bures Rd – Support – The Parish Council has no comment.
  • 192427 – 29 Albany Road, CO6 3LB– Support – The Parish Council has no comment.


Neighbourhood Plan

To note the adoption of the West Bergholt Neighbourhood Plan by Colchester Borough Council at the full council meeting on 16th Oct 2019.

Members of the council were invited to Colchester Borough Council’s full council meeting where the West Bergholt Neighbourhood Plan was considered. The Chairman, Cllr Stevenson, was allowed to say a few words to CBC and there were congratulations all round. Cllr Stevenson reported that he has not found one area in the country where the Neighbourhood Plan has received such a high proportion of voters supporting the plan or a turnout of such high proportions of the electorate (94% approval, 41% turnout). The council should now be looking over the Village Design Statement (VDS) and Action Plan over the coming years to ensure they remain current. During conversation it was suggested that the CALC (Colchester Association of Local Councils) would benefit from our recent experience and Cllr Gili-Ross asked Cllr Stevenson if he could make a presentation for its next meeting

ACTION – Cllr Stevenson to present an item on the WB Neighbourhood Plan at the next Colchester Association of Local Councils (CALC) meeting on the 3rd Dec.



  The minutes from the Environment Committee meeting held on 10th October 2019 were received. (Link to Environment P7 Oct 2019)

Main items to note:

  • The three handymen have effectively been down a man for the last month, limiting the work which can be undertaken.
  • The new drains in New Church Road/School Lane have been working well and it was a job well done.
  • Have more or less come to the end of the grass cutting season, will now be focusing on servicing the equipment and possibly purchasing new tools.
  • The job of siding out the hedgerow along Lexden Road has been progressed with Cllrs Gili-Ross, Savage and Stevenson assisting the handymen, the intention is to complete the work this Friday.

ACTION – Clerk to request David Carter of CBC to inspect the holes which have appeared in the Erle Havard greensward.

  • Ponds – the committee currently have a quote for rehabilitating the Lexden Road pond before Christmas. Cllr Spencer met with the Environment Agency (EA) who recommended that the work be completed in thirds or at least halves. The EA advised concentrating on the right-hand side and are available to stun the fish prior to removal. We will need residents to volunteer to provide homes for the fish though. There is a need to communicate with residents prior to the work commencing. Cllrs Stone & Short have already visited the neighbours of the pond, who have been very helpful and are keen to assist.

ACTION – Cllrs Spencer & Short will look at the pond following the EA recommendations and then go back to the contractor for an updated quote.

  • Winter preparations – the next Village Bulletin will feature an article requesting more snow volunteers. Also, we are still waiting for the salt delivery and have not been told when it will occur. At least a week’s notice is required in order to get the people available to unload and ready to direct it to the right place.


Health & Well Being

  To discuss the Council’s Health and Well Being agenda and the assignment of a Councillor to the role of Health & Well Being Officer

There are lots of activities already taking place in the village, groups who we give a grant to or who rent hall space. However, there is not one definitive list, we need a record of what these groups offer, who their contacts are and then get them together similar to the Hall Users Group. It is the Parish Council’s role to facilitate the Health & Well Being agenda, which has come about in order to reduce the burden on the Heath Service.

Cllr Stevenson recently received and viewed a good presentation from the EALC/NALC on this from West Sussex. Cllr Smith is interested in the role of Health & Well Being Officer, which she will confirm at the next meeting.

ACTION – Clerk to arrange a small meeting with Cllrs Smith, Stevenson and Butcher to work on an approach and bring something back to the council.

ACTION – Clerk to find and re-circulate the West Sussex presentation.



  The training/networking undertaken was noted during the last month by Councillors or the Clerk and feedback provided:

  • Devolution Briefing – DS – 7th Oct 2019
    Found some of the other attendees rather negative, but they did agree that the Buddy System with Ringway Jacobs was working well. However, that doesn’t appear to be the case in West Bergholt, so a meeting has been arranged with our buddy, Peter Cole, for 8th Nov to rectify that.
  • Clerk’s Forum – LW – 10th Oct 2019
    Presentations from Police and new Neighbourhood Teams, minutes and presentations sent to Clerk today, will be put on the Shared One Drive tomorrow.
  • Employment Overview – LW – 17th Oct 2019
    A great course highlighted that we need to do some work on the staff contracts regarding hours and sick pay. Are able to have a free consultation phone call to Vine HR or pay £65/hr if additional work needed on contracts. Showed the need for a Capability Policy in the near future.


Items to Note

  1. Correspondence Log – Oct 2019 – Poppy Wreath
    ACTION – Clerk to speak to Nicole Long about details of laying wreath.
  2. Crime Statistics – 9th Sept –   Oct 2019 – 3 Crimes
  3. Essex Highways Highlights – Sept 2019
  4. Essex Warbler (RCCE) – Vol 26 – Oct 2019
  5. Essex County Standard – 4th Oct 19 – Neigh Plan result


Items for the next agenda – 27th Nov 2019

  No specific items for next agenda


In Committee

  Matters taken in the absence of Press and Public (Public (Admissions to Meetings) Act 1960) as the item contains exempt information as defined by the Local Government Act 1972 Sch. 12a Pt (1).
  No matters discussed


Date of Next Meeting

  The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Wednesday 27th November 2019 at 7.30 pm in the John Lampon Hall (back hall), Lexden Rd, West Bergholt. Cllr Stevenson is unable to attend due to being in a different part of the country as part of his work duties and the meeting will be chaired by Vice-Chairman Cllr Brian Butcher. Cllr Stevenson thanked Cllr Butcher for volunteering and asked the Clerk to note his absence and the reason for it at the next meeting.
  Meeting closed at 8.45 pm


Date:                     Position on Council:


Skip to content