Open Gardens 2022
After the delay of two years the Open Gardens 2022 Event finally took place on Sunday, 12th June. Organised by the Gardeners Club, eleven generous owners, together with the allotment holders, opened their beautiful gardens or vegetable plots to almost a thousand visitors (lots of photos to view on the West Bergholt Hub).
The weather was fine and sunny and the village was buzzing as people walked between the various sites. The Orpen Hall was the busy central hub with the plant stall and refreshments. It proved to be so popular that preserves sold out and most of the plants and the supply of cakes had to be topped up on more than a few occasions!
The children’s garden quiz was also a great success with younger visitors; it kept them occupied whilst their older companions were viewing the plants and landscaping on display. Around the village, pupils from Heathlands School provided the artwork to the garden entrances.
Supporting the Event
Anniemation Clog Dancers entertained at various venues and the Queens Head had plenty of customers, thanks to their generous discount offer to programme holders. Additionally, as usual, the Pharmacy and Scissorhands helped by selling programmes before the day.
As a result, we were able to raise a fantastic £3,500 which has been donated equally between:
Would You Like to Get Involved Next Time?
We hope to be able to organise something similar in 2024 but as these events take lots of hard work and organisation that will depend on having continuing support from people of the Village. So, please consider if you might be willing to open your own garden next time.
And there’s More…
However, our summer activities didn’t end there and on 14th July a coach full of gardeners and friends visited East Ruston Old Vicarage Gardens in Norfolk when, once again, we were lucky to have good weather, followed by a self-drive trip to Uttling Wick in Maldon on 13 September.
Our evening meetings begin again on 19 September when there will be a short AGM then Marc McHearne from Beth Chatto’s Garden will give a talk on her life. We always welcome new members and our informal meetings offer varied and interesting topics for amateur gardeners. Coming up for 2022-2023, talks will include:
- Around the World in 80 Plants,
- Container Growing and
- Plants & Nature for Wellbeing plus
- … the Christmas Quiz, so come along to join us.
We are a very friendly group of people and new members are always welcome. Why not come as a guest for one meeting to find out more; have a chat, enjoy some refreshments and maybe win a raffle prize 1 ticket 50p or 5 for £2. Joining us is simple and inexpensive with an annual subscription of £20 due in September. Non-Members welcome – only £5 per visit on Speaker nights.
For further information, please contact Terry Claydon on 01206 241256 – [email protected].
We look forward to seeing you.
Recent news items
The following news items mention or reference West Bergholt Gardeners, to read the whole article please click on the heading…
- Gardeners’ Newsletter January 2023 - West Bergholt Gardeners' Newsletter – January 21st 2023 Hello and a Happy New Year from your Committee! Talking of whom, we have had a meeting to discuss Speaker and subject ideas for our next season from this September through to May 2024. I… …
- Open Gardens 2022 & Other Gardeners Updates - Open Gardens 2022 After the delay of two years the Open Gardens 2022 Event finally took place on Sunday, 12th June. Organised by the Gardeners Club, eleven generous owners, together with the allotment holders, opened their beautiful gardens or vegetable… …
Continue reading "Open Gardens 2022 & Other Gardeners Updates"
- Open Gardens 2022 - Open Gardens 2022 is almost here! From previous displays Arrangements for the 2022 Village Open Gardens Event have now been finalised. There will be 10 varied, interesting gardens and the Allotments open to view this year. The gardens will be… …
- Open Gardens 2022 – Are You Proud of Yours? - Are you proud of your garden? If you are proud of it, you might want to consider adding it to this year's Open Gardens. The Gardeners Association are now working to finalise details for the event. Contact [email protected] to find… …
Continue reading "Open Gardens 2022 – Are You Proud of Yours?"
- Botanical Shenanigans - Replacing Cherry Trees - Simple? Bluebell planting pear tree Writing this article I couldn't, first of all, decide if it should be about Cherry Trees, Oak Trees, Pear Trees or Bluebells; it transpired they all had their part to play along… …