Environment & Highways – 9th November 2017

Environment & Highways – 9th November 2017

The Environment & Highways Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 9th November and discussed a range of issues such as budget, handymen, Village Sign, relocation of bus stop, ponds & Argents Lane.

Environment & Highways Report

Sub-committee Meeting held on Thurs 9th November 2017 in Orpen Hall

Sub-committee members present John Gili Ross, Philip Spencer, Harry Stone, Murray Harlow, Janet Crichton, David Short, Jenny Church.
Apologies None
In attendance Andrew Savage



Budget for 2018 – 2019

Andrew attended and presented proposed budget for 2018-2019.

Discussed proposals and suggested increasing some areas. Andrew to send out revised budget.

An application has been sent to Local Services Fund for support to recruit a Village Warden to assist with improving the village environment, we wait to hear if this has been successful.





Matters arising from last minutes.

a)   Roof of duck house on Queens Road pond will be repaired by handymen before the end of the year. HS
b)   The strimmer is not functioning properly – this will be returned to Does to be checked by David Hewitt. HS & DH
c)    The Village sign needs renovating and has been sent to Danbury. LW
d)   Practice goal area. The astroturf needs repair. The goal posts and netting have been removed for safety reasons. Murray will look into replacements. Propose to investigate “Sportsafe” for replacement. MH & HS


Handymen work

a)   Matt, Nigel and David have been heavily involved in erecting the new storage unit. This has been completed and is now in use. Further work is required to cement a path to the unit in the New Year when the weather is more suitable.
b)   Whilst John is away Harry will organise the work schedules for the village handyman. HS



Harry reported that 2 new tanks to be ordered for next year.


Village ponds

Nicola Downs from TCV has been and inspected the ponds. Two days of work will be carried out by volunteers clearing the back of Hall road pond of overgrown trees and shrubs. This will be on 31st Oct and on 17th December. Norhurst will be asked to remove the excess spoil. Thereafter David will arrange for local contractor to dredge the pond to remove all unwanted foliage.

The excess from the dredging will be removed by skip. CSH have agreed to do this without cost as a contribution to our village.

Lexden Road pond and Queen’s Road pond will be tidied up by TCV on the 23rd and 28th January. Norhurst will again be requested to remove the spoil.

A large willow tree by Queen’s Road pond will need attention.



Bus stop

The bus stop on Colchester Road leading to the bridge will be resited towards the bridge on the greensward with a bus shelter. Road safety aspects have been considered regarding exact position with agreement from Highways Dept. HS


Entrance to Heath from New Church Road

It has been agreed to plant some shrubs/trees by the new wooden barrier at the entrance to the Heath. HS and PS


Letter to Virgin requesting donation

Laura has written to Virgin requesting a donation as recompense for all the disruption in the village caused by Virgin. DS


Traffic signage

David suggested we should have new signs before Argents Lane as unsuitable for HGVs
Date of next meeting –  To be notified.


Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com