Environment & Highways – 11th January 2018

Environment & Highways – 11th January 2018

The Environment & Highways Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 11th January and discussed a range of issues such as handymen work, winter projects, ponds, HGVs & Argents Lane, bus stop, flooding, parking and trees.

Environment & Highways Report

Sub-committee Meeting held on Thurs 11th January 2018 in Orpen Hall

Sub-committee members present Philip Spencer, Harry Stone, Murray Harlow, David Short, Jenny Church.
Apologies Janet Crichton, John Gili Ross



Items from last meeting

  a)   Repair of Duck House roof on hold until weather improves.
  b)   Practice goal. Sportsafe have assessed for safety – we await a report. A longer area of astroturf is needed to make the kicking area safe. At least 2 quotes should be requested for this. One quote from Sportsafe so far. Murray to follow this up and get second quote and also ask advice from Mick Bell. MH
  c)    Application for grant from Local Services Fund has been successful. Discuss at next sub-committee meeting when John returns.


Handy men Work report

  a)   Bus shelter by Methodist Church has been cleaned.

b)   Play equipment – matting is being repaired. The rocker is on order.
All work here to be completed in January.

  c)    Minor repairs for premises – how much needs to be done depends on when some reflooring is carried out by Premises.
  d)   Steps to church repairs will be done next week.
  e)   Wooden barrier to Heath needs to be lowered by one level. Hawthorn plants need to be purchased to plant behind barrier. HS & handymen


Environment winter projects

  a)   Storage unit- New doors have been ordered. Concrete base and “skirting board” needs installing. Install new gate. Branches at the back need trimming. Anti-climb paint needs ordering. HS & handymen.
  b)   Mower needs servicing – this will be done next week. Harry will inform handymen.
  c)   Salt – all salt bins have been topped up.
  d)   Heather on Heath. A request from the Cubs to be involved – suggest litter picking on the Heath and weeding in the churchyard.
  e)   Clearing branches and twigs on LD field by handymen so mowing can be made easier.
  f)     Tree survey – Propose to ask tree surgeon to assess all our trees for safety. Phil to organise. PS


Update on village ponds

  a)   Lexden road pond has been tidied up by TCV. Sadly, they cut down the silver birch on the island that we wanted to keep. The spoil from here will be moved by Norhurst. DS
  The rest of the spoil from Hall road pond will be removed by Seven Arches Farm DS
  TCV have 2 more dates – Jan 23rd and Jan 28th to complete the work on the ponds
  TLC will be asked to inspect the willow tree by Queen’s Road pond and assess work required. PS


Road signage for Argents Lane

  Agreed to order “not suitable for HGVs” signs for top and bottom of Argents Lane DS


Bus stop by Methodist Church

  This is a request stop so users need to watch and hail the bus.


Eco-survey of Heath

Suggest this is done in June/July. PS



a)   Flooding at school entrance to Heath – Matt has cleared the ditch at the moment. It does recur in heavy rain – discuss with John.
a)   Parking problems at Lampon Close – letters to be sent to residents about not blocking the entrance to the close. Investigate use of bollards and apply for yellow lines. Laura
b)   The wind had blown a tree that was leaning over dangerously near junction of Pirie Road and Chapel Road. TLC was available and has taken the tree down as it was a major danger. Suggest request CBC to take on the cost of this. PS & Laura
c)    Murray reported that a tree in Valley Crescent is overhanging the road. To be investigated. MH
Date of next meeting – Thursday 8th February 2018 5.30pm, Orpen Hall


Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com