Bergholt Heath YFC – Results & Fixtures 1st April 2012

The Under 9s were in ‘end of season trophy’ action at home to Brightlingsea Regents. Bergholt took the lead mid way through the first half, Jonah Murray hitting home. However this was against the run of play against a very impressive Brightlingsea team who had a couple of very promising players on show. Brightlingsea equalised soon after Jonah’s goal, the striker heading in a good cross. Brightlingsea then went further ahead just before half time with a confident shot from their number 11. The second half saw Bergholt try and get into the game and they had a couple of good attempts just go wide, and the Brightlingsea ‘keeper also saved well on at least 2 occasions. However Brighlingsea scored their third and final goal on the stroke of full time. Final result: Bergholt Heath 1 – 3 Brightlingsea Regents.

Our Under 13s were in the semi final of the League Cup, Vs Heybridge at Wivenhoe Town FC. Bergholt made what seems to be their customary slow start and were a goal down inside 3 minutes when a Heybridge striker picked up a clearance and with no Bergholt player closing him down, hit an early shot into the top corner from the edge of the area. Bergholt slowly got their game going on what was a very hard and bumpy pitch and equalised via an Antonio Sabini free kick which he curled round the wall, and despite other players trying to get a final touch, it bounced into the net. Half time 1-1. The second half started with Bergholt changing formation to 3-5-2 to get hold of the midfield, and they had much better possession. However a defensive slip from a huge (foul?) throw into the area saw Heybridge retake the lead against the run of play. Bergholt pressed forward and around 10 minutes from time again equalised with Leo Tiffney converting a cross at the far post. Almost immediately Heybridge retook the lead in controversial circumstances. The Bergholt Keeper leaped to catch a high long ball and was jumped into by the striker. Rather than give a foul the referee singled for a corner which was taken quickly and bundled into the net with the ‘keeper still looking a little unsteady. Bergholt threw caution to the wind to try and get a third equaliser but were caught on the break with a couple of minutes to go, the tall Heybridge number 10 rounding the ‘keeper and slotting home. Final score: Heybridge Swifts 4 – 2 Bergholt Heath. Bergholt ‘man of the match: Ollie Sanderson.

No fixtures next week due to Easter. Fixtures for Sunday 15th April to be confirmed.

This material has been developed for the West Bergholt Village Website at
Skip to content