The Friends of St Mary’s Old Church latest ‘Keep the Bell Ringing’ event, Maytime Melodies, was a great success. Taking place on Saturday 13th May it was a wonderful melange of music sung by Tom Cogan, Elizabeth Cobb and accompanied by Penny Marsden. They entertained us with some beautiful, and also fun, songs and music ranging from Mozart to Sullivan, Gershwin to Lloyd Weber so there was something for everyone.
The church was beautifully decorated with floral arrangements and olive trees. People enjoyed mingling before and after the concert and enjoyed a glass of wine or juice and some delicious light refreshments, which have become a trademark of the Friends events. The concert raised £277 which helped to take the total raised for the Keep The Bell Ringing Appeal to over £9,800 – tantalising close to our target of £10,000.
Pride in our community
What an achievement for a fairly small village in such a short time! This is due to the support shown by many people from West Bergholt and beyond, from the very young, to the teenagers at the Youth Club, the Borough and Parish Council and the many individual donors. Thank you to everyone who has been involved. We should be proud of the way we have all done out bit towards the cost of repairing of our lovely old church.
Ways to Help
The plan is to erect scaffolding and do this specialist work in Spring, so we need to raise the funds quickly to make this happen. To confirm the grant the donors need to see that we can raise our share of the money.
We will ring-fence all donations to this appeal, you could help us in the following ways:
- Make a donation by cheque to the ‘Friends of St Mary’s Old Church” sent to our Treasurer. (Rhys Lloyd, 4 Coopers Crescent, West Bergholt, CO6 3SJ).
- Become a Friend of St Mary’s Old Church or renew your membership (just £5). Phone Rhys or Carrie or visit the church for details.
- Make your friends aware of our Appeal; also that the Old Church is open to visitors from 10am – 4pm every day.
- Hold a fundraising events or help us with one of ours. To offer help, please contact Jane or Carrie.
- Jane – 01206 240167, or
- Carrie – 01206 240466, or email [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”].